My sister has impetigo, she was rubbing an ice cube across her sores. my dog licked the ice cube, could it spread to my dog and to me? is my question.

Dr. Robert Sterling
46 years experience
A Shaggy Dog Story: It was a hot summer day and she took a refreshing cube of ice and swept it across her forehead to cool the heat of the infection and the day.Just then the dog leaped up and slathered its tongue over her,the ice and the forehead.Tail wagging wildly, it then jumped up and licked YOU in the face.But you were smart.You immediately washed your face with soap and water and then had the dog drink water.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Rex Mahnensmith
45 years experience
Impetigo: Impetigo can be transmitted with touch --- but transmission with an ice cube is very very unlikely. Maintain best hygiene. Wash hands. Encourage your sister to wash carefully. She needs antibiotics. She could use bacitracin every 3 hrs. We all have staph and strep species on our skin without obvious infection. Impetigo developes when a skin break occurs. Dog won't get strep., either.
Last updated Oct 30, 2014