U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
United Kingdom
A 19-year-old female asked:

Ive been having severe period pains! ive tried paracetamol, ibuprofen, mefenamic acid and codeine and none of them are working what can i do?

2 doctor answers3 doctors weighed in
Dr. Alvin Lin
Geriatrics 32 years experience
Gettorootofproblem: So you've been unable to manage the pain of your periods. Since you're 19yo, perhaps you're not interested in getting pregnant just yet. If so, hormonal birth control pills can be used to prevent pregnancy as well as manage your periods. In fact, your family doc can prescribe your birth control pills in such a way that you don't have any periods in which case you won't have to deal w/pain. Voila!
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Stanley Swaby
Obstetrics & Gynecology 28 years experience
Try contraception: If you are not considering pregnancy try a long acting contraception - Mirena (levonorgestrel) IUD or the Nexplanon Implant. Both may decrease the menstrual flow or even induce amenorrhea (no period). Depo provera injections every 3 months may also work. You can also try the 91 day pill which will give you about 4 periods (withdrawal bleed) per year hence you may have the pain 4 times instead of 12 or more yearly.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Last updated Dec 3, 2016


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.