My wife has an abscess and her left cheek is swollen, she 7 weeks pregnant, her dentist gave her augmentin (amoxicillin and clavulanate) twice per day what should we do??!

6 doctors weighed in across 3 answers

Follow up care: Continue follow up care with the dentist and notify OB MD of abscess. The antibiotics are essential as mouth abscesses can quickly get into the mother's general blood stream and cause more serious complications with herself and the fetus.(septicemia)

Answered 9/10/2014

3.7k views

Abscessed tooth: It can take 24-48 hours for an antibiotic to take effect. If the swelling continues to increase it is important to contact your dentist again. They will work with OB to provide the most appropriate treatment. Is she is having difficulty swallowing this is serious, seek emergency care.In the meantime ice packs will help ease the swelling.

Answered 9/29/2016

3.7k views

Dr. Paul Grin answered

Specializes in Pain Management

Dental abscess: A tooth abscess won't go away without treatment. A dental abscess is a collection of pus that forms in your teeth or gums as a result of a bacterial infection. The dentist will treat a tooth abscess by draining it and getting rid of the infection. See a dentist for treatment.

Answered 9/12/2014

3.7k views