U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
Chicago, IL
A female asked:

The left side of my left ankle hurts to walk or move it's swollen tender and bruised no injury occured?

2 doctor answers4 doctors weighed in
Dr. Dariush Saghafi
Neurology 35 years experience
Consider ER now: Really? Ok...if you say so but that's pretty odd....sure you didn't roll it last night and just not think too much about it then, finding it like this overnight or something like that? Anyways, immediate treatment should be ICE, ELEVATION, REST, and something for pain such as MOTRIN or TYLENOL (acetaminophen). You may consider an ACE BANDAGE wrap. You then, MAY need x-rays to check for pathologic fracture.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Carrie Cannon
A Verified Doctoranswered
Family Medicine 35 years experience
See dr.: Need to see your doctor or an orthopedic specialist. Probably need some blood tests as well as imaging. if worsening, go to urgent care or emergency room for care. You can elevate the leg, put ice pack wrapped in towel over it for 15 minutes at a time for pain control and swelling, use crutches to walk if available, and use an ACE wrap compression bandage for stability and to prevent more swelling
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Last updated Jun 23, 2015


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.