New York, NY

the past two months my left ankle swells up after drinking beer. i also have varicose veins in my left calf. does one have to do with the other?

Dr. Mak Yousefpour
Podiatry 18 years experience
It may: Alcohol consumption leads to dehydration which may lead to water retention in the body and hence swelling of the feet and ankle. Not sure how much beer you are drinking, but may want to decrease consumption.
Dr. Thomas Knecht
A Verified Doctor commented
A US doctor answered Learn more
Asymmetrical swelling and varicose veins can also raise the possibility of a blood clot in the veins somewhere in the affected leg (left, in your case). You should probably see your doctor. I can't see how the beer would lead to the asymmetry you describe. I would look elsewhere for a cause. Needless to say, don't be an alcoholic. Good luck!
Sep 7, 2014
Dr. Joel Gotvald
Vascular Surgery 25 years experience
Possibly: Patients with varicose veins have venous hypertension buildup inside their leg veins which often leads to accumulation of tissue fluid around the ankle on the affected side. When you drink fluids, even more fluid will accumulate in the tissues abnormally. Unless the varicose veins & venous hypertension is fixed, the condition tends to worsen with time. Seek opinion from a vascular surgeon.
Dr. John Landi
Phlebology 47 years experience
V V's and beer: Varicose veins may lead to ankle swelling but I doubt that drinking beer has anything to do with the ankle swelling. See a vein specialist for an evaluation.

Last updated Apr 1, 2019