Middleburg, PA

i have sudden bulging veins on the tops of both hands, palms of hands as well as forearms/inner elbow. why?

Dr. Bennett Werner
Cardiology 44 years experience
Position: Normal veins fill and bulge by the action of gravity when placed in a downward position below the level of your heart because they are low pressure, thin walled structures. Try this: raise your hands above your head like you're "raising your hand to answer a question in school" and hold that position for 30 seconds. The veins should collapse and just about disappear. If they do, you're normal.
Dr. John Landi
Phlebology 47 years experience
Swollen hand veins.: Hand veins can swell for many reasons but the most common is certainly hereditary . Other factors would be level of hydration, aging, sun exposure and loss of elasticity. I doubt at age 32 that aging is a factor for you. Actually, I am amazed at the amount of women that i see with bulging hand veins. They can be easily treated with laser or sclerotherapy and usually a combination of both.

Last updated Sep 22, 2018