is it true that false-negatives are sometimes seen with the thompson test and an intact plantaris muscle can produce plantar flexion? suspect rupture.

Dr. Michael Genkin
11 years experience Podiatry
Immediate evaluation: There are other tests to check for a rupture but even if you suspect it then you should be evaluated immediately. I would recommend an MRI.
Answered on Jan 5, 2019
1
Dr. Vern Christensen
25 years experience Podiatry
I agree with my colleague-an MRI is the best test to determine a rupture. More directly to your question-anatomically and clinically-yes the intact plantaris muscle can produce plantar flexion of the foot with a Thompson test. It will be very weak, but can give plantar flexion. Again, agreeing with my colleague this should not be the determining test and you should seek further evaluation.
Feb 27, 2015