U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
Indianapolis, IN
A 26-year-old female asked about a female:

My daughter has a fever, cough, is losing her voice, sounds raspy, nd runny nose. what could this be? should i take her to doctor or treat at home?

3 doctor answers3 doctors weighed in
Dr. Ayisha Gani
Specializes in Internal Medicine
Take to doctor: Fever in a child with respiratory symptoms, have it examined through her pediatrician and get appropriate therapy
Dr. Carrie Cannon
A Verified Doctoranswered
Family Medicine 34 years experience
Probably viral: Losing her voice as in laryngitis is frequently a viral upper respiratory infection. You can call your pediatrician's call service for more advice or to make a next day appointment. In the meantime, tylenol (acetaminophen) or ibuprofen for fever to make her comfortable, fluids, and rest for now. If she becomes short of breath, has a high fever over 102, is not alert or able to be woken up normally, after hours.
Dr. Carrie Cannon
A Verified Doctor commented
A US doctor answered Learn more
Provided original answer
You are very welcome. :)
Aug 25, 2014
Dr. Larry Xanthopoulos
Pediatrics 23 years experience
Depends: How old is your daughter? How long has she had a fever and how high? If your daughter is older than 3 months and fever has been less than 2 days and if pt is not in any distress then you can monitor at home for now. Based on the symptoms described this is most likely a viral URI causing laryngitis. If pt's fever > 101 and persisting for > 48 hrs and pt coughing a lot see the doctor soon

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Educational text
Talk to a doctor
24/7 visits - just $39!
50% off with $15/month membership
Last updated Sep 29, 2016


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.