if my dentist tells me i need my wisdom teeth taken out, could anything serious happen if i don't? looks painful...

2 doctor answers
Dr. Bruce Pope
44 years experience Dentistry
Now is the time: At age 19 you will be sore a couple of days. With every year older you get, it gets more difficult and the recovery is longer. Complications if you don't take them out are repeated painful episodes and infections. Loss of adjacent teeth is possible
Answered on Aug 31, 2014
1
1
Dr. Arnold Malerman
52 years experience Orthodontics
Add to the list of complications destruction of surrounding bone and gum tissue, as well as possible nerve damage.
Aug 23, 2014
Dr. Donna Galante
36 years experience Orthodontics
It Depends: You should ask your dentist why they have recommended removal of the wisdom teeth and find out why they recommend their removal and what would happen if you decide to leave them in place.
Answered on Aug 27, 2014
1