so i just got my retainers yesterday and the bottom ones were hurting my gums and my tongue so i put the wax the orthodontist gave me for braces and put it on the retainers. now it won't come off. i have tried freezing them for an hour and that didn't wor

2 doctor answers
Dr. Theodore Davantzis
39 years experience Dentistry
Retainers: Retainers usually have a pretty good fit, so you need to remove them in the same "path of insertion". That means, the same way they went in, they need to come out. Don't try to pry them off at an odd angle... it won't work. If all else fails, you'll need to go see your orthodontist for removal and an adjustment since they are hurting you.
Answered on Aug 22, 2014
1
Dr. Arnold Malerman
52 years experience Orthodontics
Gentle warmth: Gently warm retainers. Should soften wax. Don't overheat or will warp.
Answered on Aug 24, 2014
1
Dr. Arnold Malerman
52 years experience Orthodontics
Provided original answer
Call your Orthodontist for an adjustment appointment. The Orthodontist will clean the wax off for you as well as adjusting the fit.
Aug 24, 2014