Canada

on metaformin, no appetite , doc unsure why, can it hurt me in not eating much, only having a smoothie or two..want to lose weight so its good ?

Dr. David Sneid
Endocrinology 41 years experience
Metformin: can suppress appetite and even cause nausea in some patients. There are better things to eat than smoothies. Your pain medication and psychiatric problems can also lead to poor appetite. Discuss w/your doctor.
Dr. Alan Feldman
Endocrinology 41 years experience
Why on metformin?: You don't say why you are on metformin. The med causes mild appetite suppression and weight loss promotion in most people who take it. I have had some patients who developed nausea that decreased appetite more substantially, but this is uncommon.
Dr. Richard Zimon
Not to worry!: Metformin usually does not interfere with appetite although all oral sugar lowering medications can have stomach (GI) side effects. Try taking it AFTER meal(s) Weight loss due to poor appetite is not a good idea so consult with your Primay Care doc if continues