Hi, i hit my elbow yesterday, and my hand has been numb since, but now the numbness is going up my arm. and every time i move it, it hurts really bad.

Dr. Howard Shapiro
Specializes in Internal Medicine - Nephrology & Dialysis
Local measures first: You hit your ulnar nerve. Pain medicine such as Advil (ibuprofen) will help. Warm compresses may help as well. How long it takes for the pain and numbness to go away depends on how hard you hit it. If the symptoms start to subside within the next couple of days, then just be patient If it gradually gets worse, you will need to call your physician or a physiatrist. Fortunately, that is a less likely scen
Dr. Anthony Ferrara
Emergency Medicine 32 years experience
Get xray: Likely its a radial nerve bruise, but Xrays would be needed to make sure not a break
Dr. Chan Hwang
Dr. Chan Hwang commented
Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation 28 years experience
Could be the "funny bone" ulnar nerve at the elbow. I agree with Dr. Ferrara that an x-ray would rule out any fracture. See your doctor.
Aug 14, 2014

Last updated May 27, 2015