what are the risks of having thc in the system and going under general anesthesia? scheduled tonsillectomy on 8/14 haven't smoked since the 8/1

3 doctor answers
Dr. Emanuel Winocur
66 years experience Psychiatry
Notify anesthesiolog: Since THC is a drug that affect the nervous system, it probable have some effect on general anesthesia. Make sure that you inform the anesthesiologist so your procedure will be better monitor.
Answered on Mar 1, 2017
2
Dr. Alla Tamarkin
12 years experience Anesthesiology
There are potential : It all depends on how much marijuana was being smoked. If someone is a once per week smoker, after 3-4 days, there will no longer be any THC found in the urine. There will unlikely be any interactions with general anesthesia. If someone had just smoked marijuana prior to surgery, there Is potential for cardiac and pulmonary depression.
Answered on Apr 7, 2017
1
2
Dr. James Eyerman
46 years experience Psychiatry
marijuana and other psychoactive medications allow more chemicals of all sorts to enter the brain by [supposedly] lowering the blood brain barrier. Therefore when one is taking an antidepressant or anxiolytic, one drink of alcohol is equal to two or three! Cardiorespiratory depression may then result from oversedation. Follow the Anaesthesioligist's recommendations to the letter.
Aug 13, 2014
Dr. Pedro Cabrera
Specializes in Anesthesiology
Cannabis and anesthe: The interaction between cannabis and anesthesia is dose related, but use of cannabis prior to anesthesia could cause cardiac arrhythmias, cardiac and respiratory depression. Also it can cause Pulmonary Edema which means water in your lungs. My advice to you don't utilize it and in case you smoke cigarettes stop a week before so that you don't have complications under anesthesia. Be truthful.
Answered on Jun 15, 2018
1