i'm going under gen anesthesia 4 a tonsillectomy. never had ga. how does ga compare 2 the iv sedation i had 4 my wisdom teeth & colonoscopy/endoscopy?

2 doctor answers
Dr. Boris Aronzon
24 years experience Anesthesiology
Ga vs sedation: In your case after breathing oxygen IV medication will be given and after you are asleep endotracheal tube will be placed and anesthesia ventilator will support your breathing. In cases of IV sedation you breath on your own and your airway is not controlled. Sometimes ga can be done without airway devices, but in your cases it is nessasary to protect your airway. Talk to your anesthesiologist.
Answered on Jun 26, 2020
1
Dr. Julian Goldman
36 years experience Anesthesiology
General Anes process: Once the IV is in, you will probably be given a small of sedative to help you feel relaxed. In the or, the ekg and other monitors will be applied. You will probably receive oxygen to breathe as other IV medications are given to achieve full anesthesia. You are never left alone while under anesthesia. We stay with you to monitor and adjust the anesthesia to keep you anesthetized and safe.
Answered on Jun 10, 2014
2