I'm going under gen anesthesia 4 a tonsillectomy. never had ga. how does ga compare 2 the iv sedation i had 4 my wisdom teeth & colonoscopy/endoscopy?

5 doctors weighed in across 2 answers
Dr. Boris Aronzon answered

Specializes in Anesthesiology

In your case after breathing oxygen IV medication will be given and after you are asleep endotracheal tube will be placed and anesthesia ventilator will support your breathing. In cases of IV sedation you breath on your own and your airway is not controlled. Sometimes ga can be done without airway devices, but in your cases it is nessasary to protect your airway. Talk to your anesthesiologist.

Answered Jun 26, 2020

4.7k views