Kansas City, MO

hard lump on back lower jaw after wisdom tooth extraction. feels very bruised. won't allow mouth to open. no infection. pain into gums and ear.

Dr. Vikram Patel
Pain Management 37 years experience
Tooth extraction: Hi Robin, When was the extraction? For about 4-6 days it is normal to have the swelling depending on how bad it was before the extraction. It will feel swollen, bruised and cause spasms of the masseter muscle prevention mouth opening. Pain accompanies inflammation that is secondary to the extraction and possibly the infection that required it. Please see your dentist if this persists beyond 6 days
Dr. Vikram Patel
Pain Management 37 years experience
Provided original answer
I just saw that you have the extraction 31/2 weeks ago. Definitely see your dentist soon.
Aug 11, 2014
Dr. Keith Hollander
Dentistry 36 years experience
May be normal: Possibly the gums are still injured from the surgery and the difficult opening is common too. As a result of being open wide muscles can spasm. Called trismus. See your surgeon for follow up care and recommendations
Dr. Arnold Malerman
Orthodontics 53 years experience
See Surgeon: Many reasons possible, including, but not limited to, infection, muscle tetany, joint issues, boneyard sequestration, displaced gum tissue, and many other reasons. You have been very patient, but now it's time to call your Surgeon for reevaluation. Hopefully it,s a simple fix.