Is it normal for someone just told they had ms to be put on tysabri (natalizumab) before other treatment?

Dr. Horacio Capote
Specializes in Psychiatry
Can Be: Depends on the individual's particular circumstances. Tysabri (natalizumab) can actually eliminate MS lesions in the central nervous system.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Neurology 53 years experience
My opinion: Tysabri (natalizumab) has an FDA indication for first line use, and if a patient has quite active MS, I believe it is foolhardy to use less effective medications to start and then scale up after damage has become permanent. The first 5 yrs seem most critical in the quest to stabilize MS.
Dr. Mark Fisher
Dr. Mark Fisher commented
Neurology 35 years experience
General acceptance of Tysabri as 1st-line DMT is quite recent, only within the last couple of years. Despite manufacturers' claims, I find all the other DMTs to be roughly the same in efficacy; differences are mainly in tolerability. Not everyone on Tysabri does spectacularly, but it does seem to me to bring about stabilization or actual improvement when nothing else has had much effect.
Sep 6, 2014
Last updated May 22, 2016