U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 17-year-old female asked:

So because i do have chronic back pain from my scoliosis, and no medications are working, what do you suggest i do? what is the probable treatment?

5 doctor answers7 doctors weighed in
Dr. Ellen Altenburg
Pediatrics 32 years experience
Alternative medicine: Chronic back pain is a tough issue. You are already in physical therapy which is one thing I'd recommend. Hard to advise on medications, since I don't know what you have been on. Many people find some relief with massage therapy and chiropractic manipulations. Your physician really knows your case best. I'd ask him what he thinks or get a second opinion
Dr. Bradford Landry
Pediatric Rehabilitation Medicine 13 years experience
Perseverance: Depending on the type of scoliosis, severity and progression of symptoms, further evaluation by an orthopedic surgeon and/or physiatrist would helpful. In general though, in order to maintain function and limit disability, most chronic pain conditions are best managed by an aerobic-based, low-impact activity program together with behavioral strategies and cognitive-behavioral therapy.
Dr. Brian Duncan
Specializes in Orthopedic Surgery
Depends on the curve: Most patients with scoliosis can manage back pain with over the counter NSAIDs, stretching, and core strengthening excercises. Patients with more severe curves may need bracing or surgery. Follow up with your spine dpecialist
Dr. Moshe Lewis
Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation 26 years experience
Physical therapy: Since the pain is mechanical, typically the only medications that might help are muscle relaxants. Thus PT and pilates to strengthen your core are the way to go. See a Sports Medicine or PMR doctor for evaluation and referral.
Dr. Larry Eastburn
Family Medicine 25 years experience
Multiple options: Hopefully you have been seen for your scoliosis by a physician. At your age you have the options of gradual and intense physical therapy, moderate exercise, bracing and surgical intervention if absolutely needed. Since you are 17 have your parents contact the closest Shriners Hospital or a Orthopaedic Surgeon who specializes in spinal dieases and scoliosis. Do not give up it can get better.

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Educational text
Talk to a doctor
24/7 visits - just $39!
50% off with $15/month membership
Last updated Sep 29, 2016


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.