U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
United Arab Emirates
A male asked:

My wife, 27,non-lactating, has been facing recurring breast abscess (pus oozes from the skin) on her left breast since last year. suggest treatment.

2 doctor answers5 doctors weighed in
Dr. Martin Raff
Infectious Disease 58 years experience
Abscess: An abscess is a localized pocket of pus that has no blood supply, so getting antibiotics into it is virtually impossible. These need a combination of surgical drainage, debridement of devitalized tissue, culture of the materials drained, and then selection of an antibiotic based upon the culture and sensitivity results. See a combination of a breast surgeon and an infectious diseases expert.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Boris Sheynin
Internal Medicine 24 years experience
May require drainage: You usually start with antibiotics. Ask your doctor to do gram stain, culture and antibiotic sensitivity before she starts antibiotics. However, if this had been recurrent, it might had formed a fistula, than it needs to be drained surgically
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Last updated Jun 27, 2017


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.