I have a .8cm lymph node on the back of my neck. found it in class doing ultrasound. should i go to my dr. or is this normal?

2 doctors weighed in across 2 answers
Dr. Alan Kelly answered

Specializes in Internal Medicine

Probably normal: It's probably a normal reactive lymph node. It could be reacting to an infection or antigen in your system or be left over from a previous infection. I would worry if you had lymphadenopathy - if all or many of lymph nodes in your neck were swollen. If you're taking an US class you could look for malignant features within this lymph node, or have one of your US techs look for those features

Answered 7/31/2014

3.8k views

Dr. Jack Hinkle answered

Specializes in Family Medicine

Depends: If you have a cut, ingrown hair or scab on your head it could be draining that. I would go to your doctor, as part of the decision is made by actually feeling the node. Sometimes a course of antibiotics for ten days and rechecking it at two weeks is a reasonable therapy if nothing else is off on your exam.

Answered 7/31/2014

3.8k views