I have been having shortness of breath and tightness hours after i smoked is it just my asthma acting up or ? also haven't slept. please help asap.

6 doctors weighed in across 2 answers
Dr. Joshua Hornstein answered

Specializes in Internal Medicine

Impossible to tell: Hi EmilyM. It sounds from your question that you have asthma and smoke cigarettes. Without asking additional questions or examining you myself, it is impossible to know the cause of your symptoms. Breathlessness and chest tightness are symptoms of asthma, but can also represent other diseases. If your symptoms are concerning you or getting worse, you should go seek immediate medical attention.

Answered 7/29/2014

3.8k views

Dr. John Chiu answered

Specializes in Allergy and Immunology

Stop smoking: The answer appears clear- that smoking is the trigger for your asthma and thus removing this trigger would be a logical answer. Aside from that, smoking makes your lungs less responsible to inhaled cortisone used for asthma control. If you have trouble sleeping with asthma, it is time for you to rush to your doctor's office. If he can't see you today, go to the ER as uncontrolled asthma can kill

Answered 7/29/2014

3.8k views