United Kingdom

I have food poisoning (campylobacter) but i have been experiencing symptoms for 17 days. recently my stool has been green in color should i be worried?

Dr. Daniela Gerard
Specializes in Emergency Medicine
Yes, but:: The color of your stool is only important if it is cream-white, tarry black, currant-jelly color, or bloody. Worry because > 2 weeks is too long. If you have high fever, blood in the stool, > 8 stools per day, or not improving (17 days sounds like too long), you might consider getting antibiotics (erythromycin) and seeing a gastroenterologist to make sure there is nothing else going on.
Campylobacterosis: Stool is usually green when there is rapid time through the GI tract. How was it diagnosed? It can be diagnosed through stool culture, gram stain & antigen testing is being developed. Was this a presumptive diagnosis or made with lab testing? It usually lasts for 2 to 10 days. Please let your treating doctor know.
Last updated Jul 20, 2020