what do you suggest if my mother has been diagnosed with carcinoid syndrome, a type of cancer.?

Dr. Thomas Knecht
Carcinoid: Hi. Carcinoid syndrome usually results from a midgut carcinoid tumor. These tumors can be small and difficult to localize. An octreotide scan (a nuclear medicine imaging technology) may help if conventional cross sectional imaging fails to locate it. Surgery is preferred, if the tumor is located and amenable to surgery. Somatostatin analogs (SSAs, like octreotide, lanreotide, pasireotide) can help
Dr. Carlo Contreras
Depends on the stage: She needs a comprehensive examination to understand the extent of the carcinoid, and where it originates from. In most situations, the carcinoid tumor is surgically removed. Sometimes the carcinoid is too advanced to be able to successfully remove. In these situations other therapies such as chemotherapy or ablation techniques are considered. Hormone symptoms can be controlled with medications.