What do you suggest if my father is bipolar and schizophrenic. so does that mean i might have it. so are mental disorders genetic?

Dr. Steven Griggs
Clinical Psychology 40 years experience
Usually one or the: other diagnosis is made, not both. If there are delusions/hallucinations characteristic of schizophrenia AND extreme shifts in mood, the dx is schizoaffective disorder. To confuse things, psychosis can occur at either end of the severe moods in bipolar, so you need a professional to tease these out. Genetics do play a part so do some research. At 41, you are less at risk for a schizo dx.