New Port Richey, FL
A 73-year-old female asked about a 52-year-old male:

My husband is schizophrenic, psychotic, bipolar, and has mdd. he is now undergoing emt and each treatment makes him more manic than ever before. ?

Dr. Ralph Wolf
ECT Tx. : May want to get a 2nd opinion as i assume u meant ect--electro convulsive treatment. Also is he on any psychiatric/somatic meds and if so how much?
Dr. Donald Jacobson
41 years experience
He cannot have all: Of those diagnoses. Usually when someone presents with that array of symptoms they are described as schizoaffective, bipolar type. Generally when someone has the condition they spend more time in depressive phase than they do in the manic phase. The emt therapy is likely bringing him out of depression and temporarily sending him into mania. That is controlled with anticonvulsant mood stabilizers and antipsychotic medication dosage adjustments. Antidepressants are usually minimized so as to avoid the mania that they can induce.Please talk to your husbands psychiatrist about this and express your observations and concerns. I'm sure that the treating physician will be grateful for the input. Best wishes.

Last updated Apr 9, 2016