A 38-year-old member asked:
What could happen if a toddler ingested sodium fluoride 1.1% dental toothpaste?
2 doctor answers • 3 doctors weighed in
Cosmetic Dentistry 26 years experience
Sodium Flouride: are beneficial to prevent cavities but is not supposed to be ingested. If it merely occurred while the child is brushing, it should not really be something to worry about. It may take 2 tubes of toothpaste depending on the child's weight to cause toxicity. In fact, some Flouride pills had been taken by some pregnant women in the past if they live in places where they don't have Flouride in H2O.
3.9k viewsReviewed >2 years ago
Pain Management 37 years experience
Not to worry: A four to six year-old child will swallow 25 to 33% of the toothpaste they put on their toothbrush. As the child’s teeth come in, they may begin brush their teeth with a fluoride-free toothpaste. The problem is solved.
3.8k viewsReviewed >2 years ago
Last updated Aug 23, 2014
Connect with a U.S. board-certified doctor by text or video anytime, anywhere.
24/7 visits - just $39!
50% off with $15/month membership
Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.