Ive had tonsillitis for 5 days now my doctor has given me penacillin but now im coughing up white hard lumps of phlegm with blood spots in it??

Dr. Ronald Herring
16 years experience in Anesthesiology
Tonsils: If you have been taking the penicillin for 5 days and are getting worse, I would do two things. First, get the doc to change the Rx to an antibiotic in a different family because you may have a 'resistant' bacterial strain. I would switch to erythromycin 10mg/kg x 3 doses/day. Second, see an ENT doc. Your smoking puts you at risk for something far worse, AND, you probably need your tonsils out
Answered on Dec 7, 2017
1