my 4y has had an ear infection for about 4 weeks went to ent prescribed drops n antibiotic by mouth he been on drops 3 wks n other 2 why isn't he bett?

45 years experience Pediatrics
? better ?: Any antibiotic I use for any ear infection may fail.It happens when the germ is resistant or if the muck inside the ear is too thick for the med to get trough and kill the germ. The fluid behind the drum is often present for 4-6 weeks after treatment when the med does work.A change of med may be needed,rarely the ENT needs to drain the infection for it to resolve. Discuss with the doc.
Answered on Jul 16, 2014