Charlotte, NC

is it okay to take aleve (naproxen) and tramadol together?

Dr. Mark Rasak
Cardiology 33 years experience
Yes: but tramadol can make people drowsy so take it near bed time to see how you respond to the medication.

Is naproxen better than hydrocodone for some types of pain?

Dr. Sassan Hassassian
Anesthesiology 29 years experience
Yes: Naproxen is an anti-inflammatory medicine similar to over the counter motrin. Generally speaking, nsaids do a better job when there is inflammation, and they also perform better with bone pain.

All anti dep & anti anxiety meds i've checked are incompatible w tramadol. It seems Valium or adavan are my only alternative. Agree? Any I've missed?

Dr. Steven Reidbord
Tramadol is tricky: Tramadol interacts with many meds. Even combined with Valium or Ativan (lorazepam) there's a risk of cns/respiratory depression and psychomotor impairment. With most antidepressants there's a risk of serotonin syndrome too. If you must stay on tramadol, consider tricyclic antidepressants like imipramine. Sedation and serotonin syndrome are possible, but can be monitored by your doctor.
Dr. Anne Sagalyn
Dr. Anne Sagalyn commented
you might try cymbalta instead of tramadol and kill 2 birds with one stone. effective for pain, anxiety and depression.
Dec 18, 2011

I have a sharp pain in my shoulder. First it was only at night but the past few days it hurts all of the time. Took alieve but it's not working.?

Dr. Ario Kiarash
Orthopedic Surgery 27 years experience
Depends: The pain in the shoulder maybe due to tendonitis, tendon tears, arthritis, labral tears, instability, or may be radiated to the shoulder from your neck. A careful evaluation of your symptoms and examination of your shoulder and neck will help with the correct diagnosis. In general night pain should be evaluated by a doctor.

Can you take tramadol if you have had aleve (naproxen)?

Dr. Luis Villaplana
Yes: They treat pain by different mechanisms of action. It's not like taking Aleve (naproxen) and motrin, same category of drugs.

I took 5 aleves (naproxen) and I am having severe nausea. Is this normal?

Dr. Vance Harris
TOO MANY: 5 Aleve (naproxen) at the same time? That is too much. The package says take 1 pill up to 2 times a day. Never take more than the label says unless your doctor says it is ok. 5 alave can make you feel nausea. This is why they print how many to take safely on the labels.

Last updated Sep 6, 2020