My boyfriend is 56yrs old has an enlarged prostate he had a biopsy done and was negative for cancer or infection he had surgery to shrink it. psa 17?

Dr. Jackie Lam
PSA: Psa isn't an accurate test for prostate cancer - it is a test that you can opt to do but it is neither specific or sensitive. So it is normal to have an elevated psa with a normal biopsy result.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Peter Kurzweil
Agree,min general w answer. However, i still use PSA velocity in my practice. This is drawing a graph of PSA year to year on annualmexammfor men over 50 (younger if +family hx. Normally PSA may rise 10% per year, and 'normal' is considered <4. If one value doesn't make sense, repeat it. Always trust clinical sense, lab errors not uncommon. PSA 17 is high. Repeat it in 3 months or per urologist.
May 2, 2012
Dr. Addagada Rao
General Surgery 57 years experience
Not correct info: 56 yr old has pas 17 , biopsy negative for malignant tumour, most likely surgery is done for obstruction due to benign prostatic enlargement. Psa levels not always due to cancer of prostate other conditions will also elevate.
Last updated Jun 24, 2020