Lebanon

i had an ankle fracture since 59 days and today i removed the cast. my leg is extremely swollen is this normal? for how long will it stay?

Dr. Brynn Ewen
Podiatry 19 years experience
Should resolve soon: Since your leg has been immobilized and likely not being elevated that much anymore, all fluids go down with gravity = swelling. Now that you cast has been removed and you will likely begin physical therapy and exercises, the swelling should go down. Sometimes, swelling after an ankle sprain or fracture can remain for an extended period of time. At the 1-year mark, that's how it will be longterm.
Dr. Michael Genkin
Podiatry 12 years experience
It's normal: Swelling can last for over 6 months but I highly recommend physical therapy. Therapy can help decrease swelling and promote healing.