My son had his tonsils out at age 4 - now at age 20 he is getting tonsillitis again ( 3rd time now in 3 months). does he need tonsillectomy again?

4 doctors weighed in across 2 answers
Dr. Hien Tran answered

Specializes in Pediatrics

If they didn't get all of the tonsillar tissue the first time or if it just grew back. They sometimes have to repeat the procedure but it is rare and he doesn't quite meet the criteria yet. Wait and see if he continues to get them. Also, could try gargling w/peroxide to keep bacteria levels down and see if that helps. A bit unconventional but I have had some success w/reducing recurrent strep

Answered Jun 28, 2014

3.9k views