Albuquerque, NM

My glucose level is 134 is that bad and does it mean i have diabetes?

Dr. Quang Nguyen
Specializes in Endocrinology
Depends: If this was after meals, then it's normal. If fasting, then it's in the diabetes range. Normal bs is <100 fasting, <140 2 hrs after meals. You need a real blood test to diagnose diabetes. The glucometer is not accurate enough so it's used for monitoring only.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Milton Alvis, jr
Preventive Medicine 43 years experience
134 a Poor Indicator: 134 likely refers to mg/dL Like all numbers, it has no useful meaning without specifying the units of measurement. Assuming 134 mg/dL, these are units clinically only used for a momentary value & Is Not the issue with DM. Momentary glucose values are constantly changing, thus any momentary value is a poor indicator of cumulative behavior. Get HbA1c which reflects last 2-3 months Av.; Optimal 5.0%
Dr. Diane Minich
Depends: on if it is fasting or non fasting and where it is taken in relation to a meal. If you are concerned about diabetes see your doctor. A hba1c blood test tells how your bs has run overall for several months and will tell if you are normal, pre-diabetic or diabetic.