U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
United Kingdom
A 52-year-old female asked:

Scan found plaques on lungs, never worked with asbestos, what will be treatment, going lung specialist, does this mean cancer....

2 doctor answers2 doctors weighed in
Dr. Peter Hanson
Radiology - Interventional 27 years experience
Pleural Plaques: Typically pleural plaques are almost always associated with exposure to asbestos -- so going to a pulmonary specialist is appropriate so that a thorough history and physical exam can be performed and you can be evaluated for other signs of asbestos-related disease. Usually the plaques do not cause symptoms. The plaques themselves are non-cancerous.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Martin Rubenstein
Hematology and Oncology 46 years experience
Not always: Asbestos exposure may have occurred but you may not be aware of it. Asbestosis is plaque like scarring without cancer in that setting. Other causes of scarring can look similar. But since cancer is possible, you need to see the lung specialist to get to the bottom of the problem. Good luck.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Last updated Jun 1, 2014


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.