What is the best place to put a duragesic (fentanyl) patch on my skin for the most pain relief?

Dr. James Wolfe
Pain Management 34 years experience
Someplace flat.: The best location is anywhere that it can remain undisturbed. Typically someplace flat where the skin does not flex or stretch frequently. Common locations are the area above the breast, the side of the thigh or high on the shoulder blade. The patch does not have to be over the painful area to be effective.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Kenneth Choquette
Pain Management 37 years experience
I like the upper arms and upper chest wall. I don't like the back at all with possible absorption differences there.
Apr 26, 2012
Dr. Michael Gofeld
Pain Management 34 years experience
Thin skin area: Typically the best result if the patch is applied just below the collar bone or at the skin of inner arm.