Afghanistan

My prostate biopsy came back positive for cancer. urologist has ordered a blood test, bone scan, & ct scan. what is he looking for in the b/test?

Dr. Matt Wachsman
Prostate and other: the PSA is a test of prostate stuff falling into the blood. As such it is high if the prostate is irritated, big, abnormal, squeezed, etc. And, its level drops to near zero if the prostate is removed. Then... prior to any operation, tests of kidney, blood, clotting, diabetes, liver function, and metabolism are done to maximize the safety of any operation. Without an actual examination, I cannot
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. John Weeks
Additional tests: after a positive biopsy for prostate cancer are done to determine if the cancer has spread to other parts of the body. The bones are a common area for prostate cancer to spread (metastasize.) Good luck!
Last updated Sep 28, 2016