How can you tell the difference between your baby molars and adult teeth?

15 doctors weighed in across 3 answers

Yes: You can tell because baby teeth look different than adult teeth. They are usually smaller versions of the adult tooth. If you still are not sure, visit your dentist and he or she can tell by looking at it or taking an xray. There you can also find out what happened to the adult tooth.

Answered 6/26/2018

5.9k views

See your dentist: Most cases the baby tooth is smaller than permanent tooth. Age of the patient can help determine which teeth should be there. Baby molars are not normally lost until 10-12yrs old unless decayed. But if a permanent tooth is not coming in then the baby molar may not come out and has to be treated like a permanent tooth.

Answered 6/21/2018

5.6k views

Dr. Gary Sandler answered

Specializes in Dentistry

Primary teeth: Primary teeth (baby teeth) are usually smaller and whiter than the permanent teeth that replace them. However, even as a dentist, i sometimes have to look carefully before i can be sure, at least with some unusual individual variations in size or contours. Your dentist can answer these questions for you if you are unsure. Hope you (and your family) are getting routine dental check-ups.

Answered 8/15/2018

4.8k views