U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
A 41-year-old member asked:

What do you suggest if i have calcium oxalate kidney stones and i am very skinny. which weight gain supplement is good for me?

2 doctor answers4 doctors weighed in
Dr. Michael Michaels
Urology 55 years experience
Citrate,Diet: Potassium citrate (brand name Urocit-K) but you should be monitored for dose & pot.in bld. 4 ounces lemon juice mixed with 2 liters water. Sip on lemon juice but do not add too much sugar. Citrate in the urine lowers chance of oxalate stone. Low oxalate diet. Look up food high in oxalate and avoid them as much as possible. If your urine is dark yellow,you are not drinking enough fluids. Good luck.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. Rex Mahnensmith
A Verified Doctoranswered
46 years experience
Calcium oxalate: Careful diet is essential: only 4 oz meat/day; add Special K drinks 2 per day; avoid beets, spinach, rhubarb, strawberries, nuts, chocolate, tea, wheat bran, and all dry beans - high in oxalate. (may eat lima and green beans). Plant fats are great; 3 egg whites per day; keep salt low; pasta with non-salty sauce is ok; potato is fine; add 5 tablespns ReaLemon extract /day; 4 L fluid/day; 12 oz OJ/d
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.

Related questions

A 41-year-old member asked:
What's to be done to prevent recurrent kidney stones (calcium oxalate)?
2 doctor answers4 doctors weighed in
A 32-year-old member asked:
Is there any food to help break calcium oxalate dihydrate kidney stones?
4 doctor answers5 doctors weighed in
A 34-year-old member asked:
What's proper diet for a person who has kidney stones of calcium oxalate?
2 doctor answers3 doctors weighed in
Last updated Aug 11, 2016


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.