does that popcorn ceiling in out 1960's or 1970's house contain asbestos, and would it be bad for my baby?

Dr. Scott Welker
General Surgery 27 years experience
Yes! Get it removed!: Asbestos, i'm afraid, was commonly used in those ceilings. To be sure, you can send a sample to a testing company (it costs about $100 to test a whole house). If it's there, get the ceiling removed professionally, don't do it yourself! scraping that junk off stirs up lots of dust and you could breathe it in. If your ceiling tests asbestos-free, it's safe.
Sometimes/depends: Some of these have asbestos and many do not.If it has been sealed in place (painted over) there is no short term risk. However, you should never try to remove it yourself or disturb it any way.Have it tested if you ever decide to remove or paint it again.If negative, no worry, if asbestos, have it professionally removed while you reside elsewhere.