what is the link between migraine and hormones?

Dr. Marsha Davis
Depends: Large estrogen swings provoke migraines. Drops in estrogen provoke migraines. That is why people on regular pill cycling , peri menopausal women and pregnant women have problems and whe it is worse if not on pills prior to periods when estrogen falls. Pills skipping placebos have helped any once their bodies adjust (give it 3months).
Dr. William Goldie
Pediatric Neurology 48 years experience
Strong link: Females get migraine many times more often than males. Puberty is the worst time for young girls due to the surge in hormones. Often the migraines occur once a month associated with hormone surge. This is referred to as catamenial. Birth control pills often make migraines worse. Pregnancy can be a disaster for some migraine patients. Discuss with your primary doctor and obgyn.