U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
California, MD
A 29-year-old female asked:

If i have never had a reaction to home hair dye should i worry about one ? can i suddenly become allergic?

2 doctor answers3 doctors weighed in
Dr. Michael Fisher
Dermatology 34 years experience
Hair Dye: The culprit is a common chemical ingredient in permanent hair dyes, called para-phenylenediamine, or ppd. Ppd is found in more than two-thirds of commercial dyes, the researchers say, including many of the top-selling brands. Patients with severe PPD reactions commonly develop painful rashes around the hair line or on the face, which often require treatment and can lead to hospitalization.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Dr. John Chiu
Allergy and Immunology 59 years experience
Yes: You can indeed become suddenly allergic but the incidence is not that high. So if it does happen, you will need to avoid it altogether. Black dye is the most common offender.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.

Related questions

A 37-year-old member asked:
What can I do if i had an allergic reaction to hair dye?
1 doctor answer4 doctors weighed in
A 38-year-old member asked:
I just had an allergic reaction to hair dye! please help?
1 doctor answer1 doctor weighed in
A 44-year-old member asked:
I had an allergic reaction to my hair dye and now my scalp if puffing up?
1 doctor answer3 doctors weighed in
A 31-year-old member asked:
Allergic reaction to hair dye. Now have blisters, help?
1 doctor answer2 doctors weighed in
Last updated Sep 28, 2016


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.