U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
Bradenton, FL
A 25-year-old female asked:

I think i am experiencing a chemical burn or allergic reaction after using hair dye. my scalp has sores that are weeping. i do have seborrheic dermatitis. what can i do at home?

1 doctor answer1 doctor weighed in
Dr. Donald Colantino
Internal Medicine 63 years experience
Exam needed: Reactions to hair dye do occur and will resolve after a period of time. Since you have more than redness or itching, I recommend that you be examined by your physician or a dermatologist to see if secondary infection is present and if so, appropriate treatment can be started. In the meantime apply warm soaks and, if possible, apply a combination of antibacterial and cortisone type cream until seen
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Last updated Feb 12, 2019


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.