A 46-year-old member asked:

Im suffering from cirrhosis, portal hypertension and ascites/ can you tell me more about treatment for this?

1 doctor answer4 doctors weighed in
Dr. Raymundo Romero
Medical Oncology 24 years experience
FEW OPTIONS: Your hepatologist (liver specialist) would be the best person to decide what would be the best treatment for you. Options include: b-blocker to decrease portal pressure, diuretics (lasix/aldactone) to control ascites and in certain cases tips (transjugular intrahepatic portosystemic shunt). Best recommendation is to avoid anything that may further damage the liver.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Last updated Sep 28, 2016


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.