how can peppermint oil help ibs?

Dr. Alan Nelson
Specializes in Gastroenterology
Can relax the esopha: Peppermint oil, mints, altoids etc can all relax certain areas of the intestine, occasionally for esophageal symptoms it may help. For people with esophageal reflux, it could make the symptoms worse. It is not a standard treatment for any condition.
Dr. Pamela Pappas
Peppermint oil: Peppermint oil can act as an antispasmodic in ibs, relieving pain, bloating, gas, and diarrhea. Enteric coated capsules make sure the peppermint oil is released in the intestine rather than the stomach, where it could cause heartburn and indigestion. Some studies do show it's effective in relieving pain, bloating, and stool frequency; a few do not. http://tinyurl.com/mkmya8f.