Everytime i eat my salivary gland under my tongue swells and after a few minutes the swelling goes down. is something wrong?

13 doctors weighed in across 4 answers
Dr. Theodore Davantzis answered

Specializes in Dentistry

Blocked Duct ?: It is possible that you have a blocked salivary duct. See a local oral surgeon to have it examined and treated, if necessary.

Answered 8/26/2017

4.2k views

Clogged duct: Sounds like a clogged duct. You are producing saliva normally, but drainage from the gland to the floor of the mouth is impeded. Usually a plug of mucous or bacteria or a calcium stone causes the blockage. It's not a complete blockage as the swelling does go down. You can try holding hot salt water in your mouth to see if that helps expel the blockage. Normally resolves with time.

Answered 4/26/2016

3.2k views

Dr. John Thaler answered

Specializes in Prosthodontics

Sublingual duct: Partial blockage of your duct. May resolve over time depending on the cause - trauma, inflammation, stone developing (sialolith), etc. If it persists, see the Oral Surgeon. Often this can be cleared with a small cannula. Good Luck.

Answered 9/20/2017

3.2k views

Dr. Paul Grin answered

Specializes in Pain Management

Blockage, see DDS: Blockage makes saliva back up inside the duct, causing the salivary gland to swell. The treatment varies with the cause. See your dentist today.

Answered 11/27/2017

3.2k views