U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
Islandton, SC
A 23-year-old female asked:

A tender knot on my left shin. theres a little discoloration to it, but i can't remember for the life of me how i obtained it. best method 2 treat it?

1 doctor answer3 doctors weighed in
Dr. Eric Sigmond
45 years experience
Shin trauma: The shins are subject to many bums and bruises that don't register if you are doing something else. The most likely cause is a broken blood vessel that has clotted. If it hurts with increased activity, ice would help, if it just hurts, warm packs may be helpful. If it gets bumped a lot, a padding bandaid or foam will help. Advil/alleve may help as well. If it gets bigger, see a doctor.
Created for people with ongoing healthcare needs but benefits everyone.
Last updated Dec 30, 2017


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.