Malaysia

I usually apply uniflex-n cream (betamethasone 0.1%, neomycin 0.5%) to prevent pimple from growing bigger at my face. it works. is it actually safe?

Dr. J. Lawrence Dohan
Dermatology 58 years experience
No: This is not useful for acne. Neomycin is of no value for any use on any skin problem. Betamethasone is a potent steroid which should not be used on the face. It increases risk for glaucoma and cataracts. Repeated use on the face, especially young women, may lead to a condition called "perioral dermatitis". When this occurs it seems to get better when Betamethasone is applied, only to rebound when.
Dr. Tsu-Yi Chuang
Dermatology 51 years experience
No.: Neosporin is for bacterial infection which is not the cause of acne. Betamethasone is cortisone which might decrease the inflammation, which is the redness around pimples. So you may see pimples not as red, even smaller, but it doesn't mean it's better. Cortisone, i.e., betamethasone, would actually promote the development of new pimples, we call it steroid acne.

Last updated May 21, 2018