U.S. doctors online nowAsk doctors free
United Kingdom
A 24-year-old female asked:

I suffer from depression and anxiety due to my mum sleeping with my abuser. i have no support and my gp wants me to do cbt. any other treatments?

2 doctor answers7 doctors weighed in
Dr. Bret Johnson
A Verified Doctoranswered
Clinical Psychology 34 years experience
Follow your GP: I think your gp may be right on. However, other treatments might include family therapy with your mother (not your abuser), if she is willing, but don't hold your breath. Individual therapy may be best in this case to get started.
Dr. Donald Jacobson
A Verified Doctoranswered
41 years experience
You also likely have: Ptsd. Your therapist should be empathic, caring and understanding. Beyond that he or she should understand abuse dynamics and betrayal. Solid psychodynamic fundamental understanding is very helpful. Once you feel strengthened through a supportive therapy, then you can incorporate cognitive behavioral techniques. This is my opinion based on thirty years of treating abuse victims. Practice spirituality as well. Yoga can be helpful and psychiatric treatment medications can also be helpful. Best wishes.

90,000 U.S. doctors in 147 specialties are here to answer your questions or offer you advice, prescriptions, and more. Get help now:

Ask doctors free
Educational text
Talk to a doctor
24/7 visits - just $39!
50% off with $15/month membership
Last updated Apr 7, 2016


Content on HealthTap (including answers) should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment, and interactions on HealthTap do not create a doctor-patient relationship. Never disregard or delay professional medical advice in person because of anything on HealthTap. Call your doctor or 911 if you think you may have a medical emergency.