i slipped on a backpack and when i came down on my ankle, it popped.it's fine to walk on, but when i run or workout it hurts and swells.what did i do?

Dr. Vera Khrakovsky
Podiatry 33 years experience
I slipped on a back: You need to see a podiatrist or an orthopedist examined, get x-rays, possibly an MRI to make sure you did not tear a ligament or tendon around the ankle joint or in the foot.Possibly will need to stay off her foot , use a brace or a cast. Do not work out , you can injure your ankle more and it will take longer to heal
Dr. David Trettin
Orthopedic Surgery 33 years experience
Prob sprain: Acutely try rice( rest, compression , ice and elevation). Avoid sports or activities which can aggravate your sprain. Try taking an over the counter NSAID ( like ibuprofen) for a few days . If no improvement see an ors for evaluation , x-rays and further treatment. Best of luck!

Last updated Jun 10, 2014