Los Angeles, CA

is it normal to experience flashbacks everyday with severe anxiety? i remember bad memories & even memories that weren't bad. it's freaking me out

Dr. Barbara Lavi
Clinical Psychology 35 years experience
Having flashbacks: Is the way your unconscious wants to get your attention so that you can get help and overcome the issues from the past. You are an adult now and it is time to work through the bad memories. It will take time and you will need to build trust with a therapist, but you can be helped. Emdr may also be a helpful type of therapy to consider.
Dr. Pamela Pappas
No, not normal: No, of course it's not normal to have flashbacks and severe anxiety every day. Please tell your doctor about this -- the xanax (alprazolam) you're taking can sometimes lead to increased anxiety between doses. Xanax (alprazolam) will also not heal trauma, if this is what's causing the memory flashbacks. Please consider seeing a psychiatrist or psychologist for talk therapy, as effective help can be provided. Best wishes.
Dr. Margret Rose Dellosso
Clinical Psychology 19 years experience
Trauma: It is normal for people who are traumatized to experience flashbacks and panic from memories ;experiences that trigger anxiety. Memories that once were not anxiety provoking can change to anxiety trigger because our brain begins to generalize anxiety to other similar memories or triggers when it is stressed.Take deep breaths, distract yourself from focusing on negative thoughts and get to therapy.