How come my amalgam (filling) hurts?

Dr. Theodore Davantzis
Dentistry 41 years experience
More info needed...: New or old filling? Deep or shallow? Large or small? As you can see, it's a pure guess without knowing these answers as well as looking at the tooth and a radiograph. Call your local dentist for an appointment.
Dr. Don Millner
Dentistry - Cosmetic 44 years experience
ManyReasons possible: Your amalgam filling can hurt for numerous reasons. 1. It's too thick and your bite needs adjustment. 2. The decay was very close to the nerve and now the nerve is upset or dying. 3. The tooth's wall cracked4.The filling may have a "gap/open" deficit and needs to be redone. Speak to your dentist there might have been issues you were warned about but now have "medical / dental office amnesia!".